Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Post-Season Training Update!


Well, since my off-season started after my last race in Pocono, there is not much to write about.  I ran….once….and I biked….once.  These first couple of weeks, I think it’s important to simply rest and recover, both physically and mentally.  It’s simple: I just listen to my body.  If I want to swim, bike or run, I will, but if things get in the way or I really don’t feel like it, I give myself a “free pass” this time of year.  Right or wrong, it’s just what I do.  To me there is no doubt about the importance of consistency in training, and long-term, consistent training is necessary to yield improvements and training gains.  However, as part of staying consistent (and healthy) over the long term, I also feel we all need a break to let our bodies recover.  Why is this break important?  For me at least, after many months of commitment, sacrifice and focused workouts, taking some time off gets that fire going again and sets me up to approach that next training block with the proper intensity and motivation.  Basically I take a small step back, in the short-term, in order to see bigger gains in the long term.  And since my next race is over 6 months away, I’d say that falls into the long-term category of training at this point.   Although it is about time to get back in the pool.  That’s it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment