Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Ironman Recovery Roller Coaster!


The weeks immediately after an Ironman are always a series of ups and down….kind of like a roller coaster.  While I haven’t done many Ironman Distance races, IM Louisville was my 5th, but it has been enough for me to notice some trends in my recovery and mental state.  Based on that, here is a summary of my past weeks between Ironman Louisville and Pocono 70.3….


Post-IM Week 1:
For me, the key is purely recovery.  I always took a few days off and started some light training.  First with swimming and biking, then some running once the soreness had been gone for at least a full day.  Usually this seemed to work, and I would end up with about 5-7 hours of easy training by the end of the week.  Compared to pre-IM training this is nothing.  However in a post-IM physical state, I would feel good for 2-3 days, then get sick.  No doubt is was from doing too much too soon.  This time was a little different.  Due to work commitments, I was forced to take a full 4 days off of training, then eased back with easy sessions over the weekend.  While it seemed like I was taking off too much time and wanted to get right back it, in reality, I was just listening to my body.  Looking back this was the right decision, because when I started training again, I was mentally ready to start the process.

Post-IM Weeks 2 & 3:
Now is where regular training starts again, and the roller coaster ride begins.  At this point, the general soreness, general fatigue and tiredness is gone.  Mentally, I am ready to go, but deep down my body is still recovering.  This is really noticeable when trying harder efforts or longer intervals.  I start out feeling great, but slowly and surely my power falls off, my pace creeps up and by then end, I am left with a very unsatisfying workout and frustrated.  I didn’t hit my plan, but I didn’t feel tired….my body just wouldn’t perform.  I know the answer, but sometimes it’s hard to comprehend.  So I take an easy day, and try again later in the week.  Bingo!  More rest was the answer, and my power and pace starts to get closer to normal.   This time my recovery seemed to progress about 1 week ahead of my past IMs.  By the end of week 3 I was about 90% of pre-IM fitness, based on my bike power and swim and run paces.  Part of what makes this so frustrating is that you know it going in.  I know it will take this long to recover….but mentally when you are feeling good, you expect your body to perform, and when it doesn’t, well….it’s just frustrating to put it politely.  Highs and lows, just like a roller coaster!

At the end of Week 3, the volume is also starting to creep back up.  I had a great 3.5 hour race rehearsal brick on Saturday and followed that up with participating as the cyclist in an Olympic tri-relay fundraiser.  The race rehearsal went perfect for the ride and run.  My power in the relay was lower than I wanted, but again was about 90% of my pre-IM for that type of effort.  Not bad for me.  As far as running, this takes the longest to get back to normal.  I have had great runs of over an hour, but when I get close to 90 minutes…. I can tell I am only 3 weeks into recovery.   How you might ask?  Things start to get sore that didn’t prior to the race.  For me this is IT bands and hip flexors.  Time for more recovery, and back to the foam roller!

Post-IM Week 4:
By this point everything is getting closer to pre-IM levels.  Endurance and intensity are back up and are my RPE is starting to feel “normal” again.  I know I am still a little off of where I was pre-IM, but I’m close.  This far into my recovery, I know I can push my training sessions without feeling I am on the edge of injury, but I still pay close attention to my body.  If I’m feeling tired, I’ll take it a little easier, but if I feel good, I know I can push it.

Post-IM Week 5 / Pocono 70.3 Race Week:
In the days leading up to Ironman Pocono 70.3, I won’t know for sure if I am completely recovered until I race, I am feeling good going in.  Over the past 5 weeks, I tried to be patient and listen to my body, but when the gun goes off on Sunday, only then will I truly know how my body is doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment