Monday, January 21, 2013

Getting moving in 2013


Now that we are a couple of weeks into 2013, I’m getting back into a normal training routine.  The holidays are always a busy time, and at least for me, there is no way to hit every session that is planned.  There is just too much to do.   Once that period was over, I’ve been able to get back to consistent training over the past few weeks.   I am still a few months away from my first race, so no need to be a winter training champ, but through consistent training, my bike and running legs are steadily coming back.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: consistency is key for long-term improvement.  It’s not one or 2 magic sessions that lead to sustainable improvement, but simply putting in the work everyday, and over time and the improvements will come.  That is more or less my approach to the winter training.  It’s about building the foundation so that once the weather breaks and races get close, my body is ready to handle the longer or more intense sessions.


So what about my swimming?  As I posted last fall, my swim focus started in November.  Well, compared to what I was doing before, it was a swim focus.  Now it is just part of my normal training plan.  I still have a long way to go to where I want to be in the water, but I am seeing glimpses of improvement.  So I got that going for me….which is nice! (Caddyshack fans anyone?)

I usually don’t post my training volumes much, because I really don’t think it means anything.  Volume alone is only one factor, intensity is the other and equally as important.   But if you’re interested, here is what I’ve done in the first 3 weeks of January:

Swim:  11:40 (36,400 yards)
Bike:  15:40 (310 miles estimated from trainer time)
Run:  9:40 (77 miles)
Other:  2:00 (core, strength, yoga, etc.)

That’s it for now, Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment